Monday, November 07, 2005

Short Weekend ride


I got in a short ride on Saturday of about 200 miles. Not much to report, and I had no plan for anything other than riding when I left the house. I just went west and bounced between the traffic of DC and Fredrick.

The temps where about as perfect as it could get with a high of 74 and the sun was shining. The leaves where in full color, and the ride was great.

I noticed a ton of high end sport cars on the road being driven slowly but grey haired old men. There where a ton of bikes out two. I even saw 2 other FZ1's! The only bad part of the trip was on the way home, coming east on Highway 100 (a heavily traveled 4-lane divided highway with controlled access). The normal traffic flow on this stretch of road is 60 to 70 mph, with a good number of people running 80+. There where 4 or five cars cued up to pass a slower (65mph) car in the right lane. Now, normally I try to avoid passing on the right, but this que of cars was going nowhere. The lead car was maybe doing 2 mph faster than the car she was trying to overtake. I moved up on the right, and put on mu blinker to move in behind the first car when the second car in the que closed the gap as tight as he could in order to block me. I feel in behind the second car, riding just to the left of the dividing line. The second car then started failing back from both the first car and the car they where trying to pass. I fell back into the right lane to get around him, when he started speeding up again to block me. I dropped from 6th to 5th and blow past him. I first though about blocking him, but then I remembered reading about a guy in Delaware that got booted off road by someone who he had pissed off on the road. I decided fleeing may be the smartest move and jumped ahead in traffic, putting several cars between me and that vehicle made me feel a good bit safer (even if I was doing 80 in a 55).

I'm telling this story because I don't understand why this guy would try and block me. It's not like I was going to hold him up in traffic. It's not like I slow him down in any way. Come on, I don't ride a Harley! Maybe he felt I was going to fast, or maybe he didn't like getting passed on the right (I hate that myself) I don't know. I guess he was just a ass hole.

No comments: